Five Quick Giving Trends for 2010
These facts can be attributed to the Giving USA 2011 report and article found here.
- Total charitable giving has increased in current dollars in every year since tracking began in 1954 except in: 1987, 2008, and 2009.
- Total charitable giving was 2% of Gross Domestic Product in 2010, a decline from the level of 2.3% seen in 2000 and 2005.
- There are more than 1.28M registered 501(c)(3) organizations with the IRS. But in June 2011, 275K lost their tax-exempt status for failure to file legally required documents.
- Family foundations provided approximately 48% of all grants by independent, community, and operating foundations in 2010.
- The largest pledged gift in 2010 was $250 million worth of art and furniture from George M. and Linda H. Kaufman to the National Gallery of Art in Washington D.C.
Reference NonProfit Trends